All around the world, basketball is played. Do you want to know the history of basketball? How did people start playing basketball? When the first match of basketball held?
Why did people feel the need for this kind of game? Who designed the game of basketball? How many members did he include in a team when the first basketball match was played? What kind of ball did he use for the first time?
Why is this game known as basketball? Do you want to know all the initial rules of basketball? In how many halves he divided the game?
History of Basketball
It is not easy to go outside and play games during winter so, different colleges needed to organize indoor games for students like marching and apparatus work. Then students started getting bore from these gymnasium games and, physical instructors also wanted to have a kind of game in which the body can warm up more and, students can play in teams.
So, Jame Naismith who, graduated from Springfield College and then started working as a physical instructor in this college, took the responsibility of inventing a new indoor game. Luther Harsley Gulick assigned this task to Jame Naismith.
Objectives of Jame Naismith
Following were his objectives
- His first objective was to invent a game that students can play indoor when there is rain or cold outside.
- He designed the game in a way that players can play it in less space without any injury to anyone
- Groups can play this game.
- The game should be complex.
- It must be muscle strengthing.
Process of Invention of Basketball
He started working on the invention of a new game according to his objectives and, he did the following things
Fixation of Baskets
James Naismith fixed the baskets at the height of 10 feet on each end of the gymnasium. Furthermore, he positioned a man to pass the ball from the basket to the players. Later on, they removed the lower side of the basketball that the ball can itself move down to the players.
Members of a Team and their Position
He also proposed two teams with nine members in each team, positioned each team’s members, and tossed it.
The Name of the Game
He decided to call this game basketball as we use a ball and a basket in it.
Rules Set by James Naismith
- He set 13 rules for this game and assigned the referee to disqualify any player when he makes three consecutive fouls. Following are the rules set by him
- Firstly, you can use one or both hands to throw the ball in any direction.
- Secondly, do not through the ball with your fist.
- Thirdly, the player cannot run with the ball in his hand. He must have to throw the ball anywhere from he can get the ball again.
- You can only hold the ball between your hands or in hand.
- Please don’t touch any part of the body of the other player because it is a foul.
- If a player touches the ball with the fist, then it is also a foul.
- Three consecutive fouls will add a goal to the goals of the opponent team.
- A goal will be counted when the ball is in the basket.
- When the ball is out of bounds, the person who first toches it will throw it in the field.
- The umpire keeps an eye on the players and informs the referee who has made a foul.
- A referee views the basketball and counts the number of goals made by each team
- He divided the game into two halves and, the time of each half was 15 minutes and, there was a break of 5 minutes in both halves.
- The team who will make more goals will win the match.
First Game of Basketball
When James Naismith finalized all rules and designed the game, he pasted a sheet on which he wrote all the rules on the wall and, two teams of his students played a match on December 21, 1891.
Popularity of Basketball
In many other countries, schools, colleges, and universities began to hold basketball matches and, many international organizations and leagues like the NBA came in to be. Can you Play Basketball With Flat Feet don’t missout if you have flat feet issue?
Very quickly, it became popular all around the world. It was first played in the USA. Now it is the national game of Lithuania which, is on the Baltic state.
James Naismith fulfilled all requirements of an indoor game. He restricted players to use only hands for throwing the ball. Moreover, James Naismith told all the actions that are foul according to him. He assigned the referee and umpire to supervise the ball and the, player respectively. Now, it is played all around the world under different organizations and leagues.